The California Common Core State Standards (CCCSS) were developed through a state-led initiative to establish consistent and clear education standards for English-language arts and mathematics that would better prepare students for success in the competitive global economy.
The standards were adopted by the State Board of Education (SBE) on August 2, 2010. However, it will take several years to implement curriculum, instructional materials, and assessments based on the new standards.
- Common Core State Standards Resources (CDE):
- Common Core State Standards: Development of an Implementation Plan (CDE)
- Common Core State Standards Frequently Asked Questions (CCSESA)
- K-8 California’s Common Core Standards Parent Handbook (CCSESA)
- Sample Action Plan for Implementation (TCOE)
- Action Plan for Implementation CCCSS-Blank (TCOE)
- TCOE CCCSS Professional Development
The following presentations provide a general overview (Math & ELA) of the CCCSS.
California Teacher’s Association (CTA) Good Teaching Conference: San Jose, California, January 21, 2011
- What’s Next? Assessment and Accountability
A presentation regarding assessment and accountability related to the Common Core State Standards.
- What’s Next? Assessment and Accountability Presentation (PDF; 169KB; 17pp.)
- Common Core State Standards Overview
- CCSS Overview Presentation (PDF; 917KB; 37pp.)
The following publication provides an overview of the new assessments for the Common Core State Standards. (Center for K-12 Assessment and Performance Management at ETS)
- Coming Together to Raise Achievement: New Assessments for the Common Core State Standards, Revised February 2011
Link to Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Website: